It’s only taken Triumph a quarter century or so, but you can at last have a Speed Triple with a fairing – and it’s the most powerful, beautiful, best handling and sporty Speed triple ever, too. At least we’re hopeful all those superlatives are justified, because we’re Speed Triple tragics here at Australian Road Rider.
So 2021 brought us the R model, with some significant updates to what’s been one of the most popular high performance nakeds since the Speed Triple was launched in the 1990s. The RR, however, takes it to a new level.
One letter, a host of changes
So the ‘cockpit’ fairing – a Rickman-style frame mounted half fairing with a round headlight – gives the bike a neo modern style. Of course we’ve only see pictures so far, but it looks stunning in those.
The lines swoop back from the fairing – the top third is colour, fairing, tank, tail. The middle third, mostly black: guard, engine, swingarm. Only the Öhlins gold of the forks and yellow of the shock breaks it up.
Black 8-spoke lightweight cast wheels finish off the look.
180PS and 125Nm… it’ll be a rocketship. Semi-active electronic suspension, Brembo Stylma brakes, full LED lighting… there’s not much not to like.
Press release info:
A new statement in beauty, sophistication and attitude
– Unique and beautiful new crafted cockpit fairing with signature RR single round headlight
– Even more focused, nose-down muscular Speed Triple poise and attitude
– All of the new-generation Speed Triple design, with more premium details and beautiful touches:
o New carbon-fibre detailing
o New twin colour schemes with rich, high-quality candy paint
The most focused & exhilarating Speed Triple ride ever
– New fully engaged and committed rider ergonomics with clip-on handlebars, tailored footpeg position and an accessible 830mm seat height
– New Öhlins Smart EC 2.0 electronically adjustable semi-active suspension
– New Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V3 tyres
– All the track-derived specification of the RS:
o Lightweight chassis
o Brembo Stylema brakes with linked braking system
o Adjustable Brembo MCS lever
o Optimised balance and centre of gravity
All of the latest generation’s triple powered revolution in performance
– All the immense performance of the Speed Triple 1200 RS from its lightweight, low-inertia engine with 180PS peak power at 10,750rpm and 125Nm peak torque at 9000rpm
– Brushed stainless steel silencer with black end cap delivering that visceral Speed Triple sound
All of the latest generation’s premium specification technology
– Full-colour 5.0-inch TFT instruments with My Triumph connectivity system
– Optimised cornering ABS and switchable optimised cornering traction control (with IMU)
– Five riding modes – Road, Rain, Sport, Track and Rider-configurable
– Triumph Shift Assist up and down quickshifter
– Advanced front wheel lift control
– Full LED lighting, including distinctive new single round headlight with DRL
– Additional ride-enhancing technology including full keyless system, illuminated switch cubes and fully adjustable cruise control
Ready to personalise
– More than 30 genuine Triumph accessories for additional detailing, comfort and protection
Price, service and availability
– High service intervals of 10,000 miles (16,000 kilometres) or 12 months, whichever comes first
– Two-year unlimited mileage warranty on the Speed Triple 1200 RR and all genuine accessories
– The Speed Triple 1200 RR will be available in Triumph dealers in Australia from December
– Australian pricing has yet to be confirmed